I'll stick the 2nd one up now while I'm thinking about it.
Who Am I? #2
1. I am the son of a man who was a talent in my sport and the grandson of a man who played my sport to international level.
2. I am one of three brothers who played the same sport to international level.
3. My younger brother is best remembered for an unsavoury incident whilst playing our sport - I was heavily at fault too.
4. I landed myself a contract at a club in another country after writing to ask if I could join them.
5. For part of my career, I was repeatedly troubled by tonsillitis.
6. I once tried to make a citizen's arrest helped by an opposing player when a match official was attacked.
7. I left my post as a national coach for another nation in 2007.
Maybe the best thing with these quizzes is to just pm me whenever you think you have an answer (you can have say 3 guesses each per quiz) and then if anyone gets it really quickly it still gives others a chance to try and work it out within the 48hrs or so it's up without an answer. I'll still put up whoever gets it right anyway and also list wrong answers (but not with who submitted it!) to avoid duplication
Just the one guess so far and it was correct... anyone else want to have a go at this one or are you waiting for the last 3 clues tomorrow?
Three guesses after the first seven clues and all got it correct (I'll say at the end who).
So your final three clues which should hopeully give it away are...
8. I was an exceptional all-round cricketer for Australia.
9. The national side I was coaching for a couple of years until 2007 was India.
10. The controversial incident my younger brother is best remembered for was against New Zealand who were needing 6 off our final delivery to tie the game. As captain, I told my brother who was bowling to bowl his final ball rolled underarm to the batsman to ensure the batsman couldn't hit a 6 to tie the game.
I thought bowling underarm was illegal? Mmm very interesting, just looked into it and apparently cricket originally started with underarm bowling ONLY (overarm bowling was illegal for a long time and attempts to introduce it were dismissed a few times). Then in 1835 overarm bowling was finally accepted.
Originally Posted by musicbox
Then in 1981 - after the incident you mentioned - underarm bowling was made illegal unless expressly agreed to by both teams.
Well, very interesting indeed
Well done to SteveSharpe, TimRobertson And Munk who all got the answer correct after seven clues: Greg Chappell was the answer.
Who Am I? #3 will be up on Saturday.
Munk, at the time it of the incident there were rules to stop underarm bowling but not in all competitions which is why this particular action was allowed to happen. There's a pretty good summary video of it on youtube here with a very p*ssed Richie Benaud!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IDFFmiwCqU"]YouTube - The underarm incident (1981) - FULL DETAIL[/ame]
Who Am I? #3
For a bit of a change, here are seven crossword clues (I'm not very good at them so apologies!); if you can work out even a few though you might get who the sportsperson is.
I move with my right hand and right foot forward.
John Leguizamo was just acting, I was this for real.
A disorder of sorts, for others an award.
Cheese; I won't let you down, I will not give you up.
John, I'm only doing what Bowie said I was doing.
We'll need a modern one to cross that troubled water.
I sometimes categorised myself as super.
*** if you think you know, fire me off a pm ***
Have I stumped you with this one? Maybe I've watched too much Sky News in my life but I've found myself checking my inbox for 15 minutes every 15 minutes... and an independent adjudicator has told me I've had zero correct guesses... and zero incorrect guesses. You do the math!
Doh, sorry for not replying, I did spend maybe 5 minutes looking at the clues and having a google but I'm really really bad at cryptic crosswords, sorry...
I'm going to give you number 4 because my wife just told me it's the lamest clue EVER and it's not even cryptic... in fact, it's impossible to get.
If you can get the 2nd part of clue 4 I'm sure googling that together with "Caerphilly" will give you the answer to the whole thing!
Tags for this Thread