Tennis Preview – Andy Murray returns

World number one Andy Murray returns to action by taking his place in the 2017 Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.

Murray has not played since his somewhat disappointing exit from the Australian Open in January, but he is now back and raring to go.

Whilst Murray is in action, his biggest rival Novak Djokovic will not be taking his place in the Middle East showcase, instead deciding to wait for Masters 1000 event in Indian Wells in early March.

Murray has never won this event – now in its 25th year – having only ever reached the final once, when he lost to Roger Federer in 2012, but the Scot loves playing in the event.

“I love the fact that there are so many great restaurants here, great shopping and I find the people really friendly all the time,” said Murray,.

“The hotel here is unbelievably close to the courts — you can just walk out of the hotel to play your matches, practise or go to the gym. I love being here.”

“You can just walk out of the hotel to play your matches, practise or go to the gym. I love being here.”

Andy Murray on playing in Dubai

Australian Open winner Federer will again be in Dubai whilst big names such as Stan Wawrinka, Gael Monfils and Tomas Berdych will also line-up.

British number two Dan Evans will be in the field and he is rated at just 33/1 for the title.

Firm favourite

We spoke to Richard Marsh of Ladbrokes about the Dubai tournament, for which Murray is firm favourite.

“All eyes are on Andy Murray once again, as the world number one plays his first tournament in a month. The Scot has never won this event – and has only reached the final once, but Murray will be desperate to make up for that early exit in Melbourne, and it’s little wonder he’s favourite this week,” Marsh told TheGamblingTimes.com.

Marsh picked out Tomas Berdych as one to keep an eye on, adding: “Berdych goes well here, and is a two-time finalist, while Stan Wawrinka is the reigning champion in Dubai.

“But he was defeated the Australian Open by compatriot and Melbourne champion Roger Federer, who must be seriously considered for victory here.”

Related Posts

This website is strictly for over 18’s. If you do have any concerns about gambling please contact GambleAware
© 2023 The Gambling Times. All rights reserved.