Racing Daily with BetVictor – Aug 28

Anthony Van Dyck was cut from 14s to 10/1 with BetVictor for the 2019 2000 Guineas after his half-length success in the Gp 2 Futurity Stakes at the Curragh on Sunday. He was also quoted at 12/1 for the Derby, but there must be major doubts about his stamina for the additional half-mile at Epsom given his pedigree. I would be surprised if he were Aidan O’Brien’s first choice contender for the Derby next year.

The ground was described as soft with good to soft places at Epsom before racing yesterday and War Eagle (2.45) was given a tender introduction when a staying on fifth at Newmarket earlier in the month on debut and the step up to a mile should suit.

The filly Cape Islay was not suited by the slow early gallop at Nottingham on debut and I expect Franny Norton to be quite aggressive on his mount – it should also be noted that trainer Mark Johnston, who saddles Cape Islay, has won this corresponding race for the last two years.

Becca Campbell (3.50) has run well here on both starts and the hope is that Georgia Cox can get her mount galvanized earlier than is often the case. The mare finished runner up here off this mark at the beginning of the month and was given too much to do at Chepstow last time.

I thought Mrs Hoo (3.00) was always getting to Nina Petrovna (runs Epsom 2.45) over C&D last time and with that filly rated 77 one could argue an opening mark of 76 looks lenient for Richard Fahey’s filly who will stay further than a mile in time. There is no guaranteed pace in the race and I wonder if Paul Hanagan might try and make all.

Danny Tudhope takes over on the long-standing maiden Urban Spirit (5.05) but the gelding has finished second on his last couple of starts and the suggestion is there is more to come from this 4-year-old over staying trips.

At Stratford this evening, I am going to give the novice hunter chaser Pink Eyed Pedro (5.40) the vote in the 2m 5f handicap Chase. The selection went wide throughout on ground softer than described in the John Corbet Cup (3m 3f) here back in June and actually took it up two out before going out like a light and eventually being pulled up.

This drop back in trip will suit as will the drying ground although he is likely to need a proper test at this intermediate trip. Do note there is no guaranteed pace in the race and I wonder if connections might try and go on if no one else wants to make the running.

Peppay Le Pugh finished runner up in his last five starts for David Dennis off similar marks and wouldn’t have to find a great deal of improvement for the switch to Dan Skelton to make a winning start for the yard this evening. That is likely to be factored into the price, however, and Torhousemuir (7.40) travelled very well at Newton Abbot (2m 5f) last time and the hope is that he can cope with the drop back in trip to 2m 1f tonight.

A 3lbs rise is a concern given he was well beaten in the end, but Richard Patrick again takes off a valuable 5lbs and there is likely to be plenty of pace in the race.

For all the latest odds head to BetVictor.com and follow @BetVictorRacing on Twitter

Be Lucky!

Related Posts

This website is strictly for over 18’s. If you do have any concerns about gambling please contact GambleAware
© 2023 The Gambling Times. All rights reserved.