Rooney’s World Cup odds not looking good

Wayne Rooney’s odds on making the England World Cup squad are growing by the day after he was left out of Gareth Southgate’s latest selection.

England come up against Scotland and France in June, and Southgate named a 25-man squad for the games, but again there was no room for the Manchester United captain.

Rooney, who came on late in the Europa League final for United on Wednesday and lifted the trophy, has not featured in England’s last three squads due to injury.

But despite being fit – Southgate has opted not to bring back the Three Lions skipper but he insists this is not the end of Rooney.

“I’ve showed that, by selecting Jermain Defoe at 34, if players are playing well and the moment’s right then we will involve them in the squad.

“You never write off a player of Wayne’s quality and I’m sure that, next season, he’ll be back to playing. He’s finished the season a bit better and I’m sure he’ll take that into next year.

“We have a lot of players playing exceptionally well in the area of the pitch that Wayne plays.

“I said last time [in March] that he was a bit short of matches – he’s had some matches now but we’ve got players that have done really, really well for us in Adam Lallana and Dele Alli.

“We’ve got Marcus Rashford, Harry Kane coming back and Jermain Defoe who did really well for us last time while Jamie Vardy’s been in excellent form in the second half of the season.

“I can’t dress it up any other way. Other players are in really good form and deserve to keep their place.”

Rooney is now out to 4/1 with bet365 to make the England 2018 World Cup squad.

Related Posts

This website is strictly for over 18’s. If you do have any concerns about gambling please contact GambleAware
© 2023 The Gambling Times. All rights reserved.