French Open Preview

The King of the Clay Rafa Nadal is looking to make history by becoming the first man to win one Grand Slam ten-times.

Australian legend Margaret Court is the only player in Tennis history to have one any Grand Slam ten-times or more with her 11 Australian open wins.

Now Nadal can add to his list of achievements by taking the title again at Roland Garros.

Nadal is confirmed as the fourth seed, but he comes into the Championship’s as the odds-on favourite having shown brilliant form in the run-up.

“To win four tournaments before Roland Garros, nobody has ever done this,” said Nadal, who will turn 31 on June 3.

“But I have matched my best performances before arriving in Paris.”

World number one Andy Murray is the number one seed, but his form is far from being that of the world’s top player, with a series of early exits combined with injuries this year.

“A lot of people think I have got no chance of doing anything at the French [Open] after the last couple of weeks,” Murray said.

“But I do think I can still do well.”

“A lot of people think I have got no chance of doing anything at the French…but I do think I can still do well.”

Andy Murray

Murray, who has made the worst start to a season by a world No 1 since Pete Sampras in 1999, does have his coach Ivan Lendl by his side in Paris.

“I mean, the last couple of weeks, they have been tough and I haven’t played well. I am just not playing good tennis and I need to try and work out how to turn that around,” he said.

Whilst Murray is reunited with his coach, world number two Novak Djokovic has turned to American legend Andre Agassi.

”I spoke to Andre the last couple weeks on the phone, and we decided to get together in Paris,” Djokovic said. ‘We’ll see what (the) future brings.

”We are both excited to work together and see where it takes us. We don’t have any long-term commitment. It’s just us trying to get to know each other in Paris a little bit.”

Whilst Nadal is odds-on favourite, there are a number of outsiders who are catching the eye – particularly ever-improving Austrian Dominic Thiem – who has impressed hugely during the clay court season and is up to six in the world – and world number nine Alexander Zverev.

Odds

We caught up with William Hill’s Rupert Adams ahead of the big action in the French capital.

“Rafa Nadal is favourite but we have really much interest now he is odds on, but there was a little interest late last year and early this year. He seems the selection mostly because he is the only top player who seems to be playing near his best,” he told TheGamblingTimes.com.

“With Murray, he is listed as fourth favourite – mainly because of a lack of money and the fact that he hasn’t shown any form recently that justifies him being shorter.

“We have not seen much interest outside the top-four – we laid a little on Dimitrov when he was playing well in Australia in January. Carreno-Busta has also attracted some support at around 150/1 as he has played very well this year.”

Related Posts

This website is strictly for over 18’s. If you do have any concerns about gambling please contact GambleAware
© 2023 The Gambling Times. All rights reserved.