British racing cancelled until February 13 - The Gambling Times

British racing cancelled until February 13

The British Horseracing Authority (BHA) has taken the decision that racing will not resume in Britain until Wednesday 13 February at the earliest, including fixtures programmed by the Point-to-Point Authority.

The BHA’s veterinary team has today been in contact with more than 50 trainers and veterinarians to allow it to make an informed assessment of the risk of equine influenza spreading. Whilst no further positive tests have been received, at least three more days are required before it will be possible to make a decision about whether it is safe to resume racing.

The disease can take up to three days before symptoms are visible, meaning it will take until Sunday at the earliest before the BHA can gather all the information required. This approach will allow samples to be collected and assessed by the Animal Health Trust in order that a fully informed decision can be made on Monday. This may then allow declarations to take place on Tuesday in time for racing on Wednesday, with 24 hour declarations for all fixtures on this day, should racing be able to resume. Declarations for Thursday would revert to the usual procedures.

We are grateful to trainers and veterinarians for the rapid flow of information and feedback  we have received today. Because of this, we have been able to make an informed decision earlier than we expected and before we have any test results back from horses from the affected yards that travelled to the three meetings.

Trainers support a precautionary approach and we thank them for the collaborative manner in which they have worked with us to address this unfolding situation.

This precautionary approach is intended to ensure we put the health of the horse population and control of the virus first, and avoid any unnecessary risk that might come from returning to racing too quickly. We appreciate the impact that this may have on the sport commercially, but disease control in order to mitigate the risk of further disruption to the sport – and safeguard the health and welfare of our horses – must be a priority.

A plan will be constructed for the rescheduling of key races – and those which may provide important opportunities for horses to run – which are lost during this period,

Separately, as a precaution, all of the trainers who had runners at the fixtures at Wolverhampton, Ludlow and Ayr this week have been informed that their yards have been placed under a temporary hold which means that they will not be able to make any declarations until their horses have been tested and cleared.

Bookmakers, who will be impacted, have backed the decision.

William Hill’s Director Of Retail Nicola Frampton said: “We show the largest selection of International and Irish greyhound racing on the High Street along with a wide ranging virtual schedule.

“All in all, we are very well placed to handle this unfortunate situation and as was the case in 2001 when Foot and Mouth surfaced, our customers have a wide range of alternative products including international racing coverage as well as other products such as football and virtual racing, so we hope to minimise any disruption.”

Related Stories

Reaction

Bale battle intensifies

Gareth Bale's camp have reacted furiously over comments made by Real Madrid about his future, but admitted a move could be in the offing.

Exclusive

Real pressing on with Pogba plan

Real Madrid are set to step up negotiations with Manchester United with the aim of hammering out a deal for Paul Pogba.

Tournament Preview

Betfred World Matchplay Preview

Gary Anderson begins the defence of his Betfred World Matchplay title against Danny Noppert, while Michael van Gerwen will face Steve Beaton in the opening round of the summer's biggest darts event.

Preview

Racing Daily with BetVictor – July 23

A look at Tuesday's racing action with BetVictor's Charlie McCann.

Betting Calculator



Launch as pop-out window

Accumulator Calculator