Arsene Wenger continues to remain resolute in the face of intense pressure following their latest capitulation, going down 5-1 for a second consecutive game against Bayer Munich.
Wenger insists that the referee played a big part in their defeat on Tuesday evening, as Arsenal were winning before Laurent Koscielny conceded a penalty and was sent-off early in the second-half, which then saw the floodgates open.
“I don’t know,” Wenger answered when asked if he will manage Arsenal in the Champions League again.
“You always write for headlines, I am here to speak about football not my future. I think tonight there was no uncertainty in our game. I felt that we played very well and it was more the decisions of the referee who killed the game.”
On the back of the latest defeat Wenger, BetVictor slashed his odds to 3/1 from 12/1 to be the next manager to go, whilst WilliamHill are giving just 2/7 on him not to be in charge of Arsenal next season.
Our Football Insider Graeme Bailey, who had it confirmed earlier in the week that Thierry Henry was the choice of the Kroenke family to replace Wenger – if and when he leaves, thinks the veteran tactician will be departing, despite the Gunners board offering him a new deal.
“Wenger will take his time and will leave on his terms, it is complicated by the fact the board have offered him a new deal and it is waiting for him to sign, but with this latest debacle of a performance, the futures of the likes of Sanchez and Ozil not looking good – surely his time is up,” said Bailey.
“But as I said, whilst I believe Wenger will go – it would not shock me to see him signing a new deal, which will not go down well with a number of fans.”